Wednesday, June 16, 2010

In Season! What is in Season?
Has anyone else noticed that tomatoes started showing up at the market 2 weeks ago? Along with sweet cherries? Last week Blueberries and Blackberries...I am certainly not a farmer but I have been picking my own fruit for more than 10 years in this region. I can not recall seeing berries as early as first week of June.

I certainly know it is rare to see Strawberries & Asparagus available at the same time as Cherries and Berries.

So, what does all this mean? For me it means 2 critical points:

1. I best get moving to the farm and pick berries and cherries before they are gone...unless coming early means they will last about 2 weeks longer than usual ...hmmm....?

2. Don't rush my Summer. I am holding out enjoying the berries and squash for that matter until I have exhausted myself with the dark leafy greens and fresh peas. Eating seasonally for me means eating so much of one particular food that I am ready to not see it again until next year or at least until cooler months come and opening a canned jar or pulling out a frozen bag to cook dinner feels like Summer comfort.


So for all you pie makers, jammers, picklers, preservers, driers and freezers.....get your baskets ready because it seems that MD's bushes and trees have produced a wee bit early this year!

Happy picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment