Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Duck- Eggs, Tongue, Nether region and all!


Glorious Duck - Egg to Nether Region!

Beginning with -what else- the eggs first.


Rich, creamy, silky, fabulous. ~$15/dozen and run late Spring to early Fall. Sold by Our Springfield Farm.

I have eaten these eggs many ways and all delicious. The yolk is much larger than the white typically so, I don't recommend baking with them...unless test your recipe and use only if it calls for at least 2 large chicken yolks (only). Duck eggs can be equal 2-3 chicken eggs.




Try making breakfast flat breads - pre-made or homemade naan, pita or pizza dough - brush with oil, Grill - Top with your choice of cheese or sauce - I enjoy Pesto, dollop of ricotta cheese, sauteed spinach, mushrooms, topped with fried or poached Duck egg. Black Pepper, Sea Salt and dashch of ile flakes!

Moving right along - recently ate at BOKA restaurant in Chicago. I enjoyed the 9 course tasting menu. One of these courses was their "Roasted Muscovy Duck Breast served over a Golden Barley Cake, Puree of Stewed Prunes, Pickled Tongue & " Duck Fries." Duck breast was very tender

In my travels I have seen Fries fried in Duck fat and had fries topped with fois gras but never have I seen "Duck Fries." Didn't know what to expect.
You guessed it - 1 small breaded fried testicle appeared on the plate. Honestly it like a small white meatball. Check out the pic for yourself.
The tongue does not look so appealing. I expected it to taste like calamari possibly? Chewy! However, to my surprise it was quite tender, mild with a slight acidic salty note from the pickling.

The sweet plumy rich sauce tied the dish together well.
Scary but I could see Duck Fries in a paper lined basket served with dipping sauce at the local pub! Bite size, fried, tender - "tastes like chicken."

Kudos to the chef for using the whole animal in new inventive ways.



No comments:

Post a Comment