Monday, January 10, 2011

Bottomless Beverages for Brunch- Worth it? NO!

Saute Restaurant & Bar
2844 Hudson Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21224
Phone: 410.327.2883

Yesterday morning a group of us dined for the first time at Saute for brunch. According to online menus, food looked interesting and reasonably priced. Upon our arrival I was surprised to see the number of TV's available in both the lounge and dining room area. WOW... the decor does not scream sports bar but given the placement and number of TV's you could have fooled me. This is not a bad thing necessarily and in fact with the upcoming playoffs certain to be a huge money maker.


The annoyance for me as one who does enjoy her weekend brunch - fixed price menus that include BOTTOMLESS beverages! How could endless Bloody Mary's or Mimosas be bad you ask? Well, unless you enjoy your mimosas as OJ with a splash of sparkling or V8 with some much horseradish you can't be quite sure if vodka was even added - I would rather pay full price for a properly made beverage WITH GARNISH than be served the BOTTOMLESS versions.


Needless to say the gimmick is $16.95 for entree and endless alcoholic drinks or $12.95 for regular endless beverages. The other strange point was since the beverages were bottomless, bar service didn't appear to care what size glass you were served your beverage in. I was served a Bloody Mary in a tall, very slender glass and my companion was served his in a pint glass? This continued with others at the table with Sangria - 1 in a stemless wine glass the other pint glass? Believe it or not glassware does matter for some so, if you are one to enjoy a proper drink do not venture here on a weekend day when you are forced into bottomless whether you wish it or not!



Service was not rude but they were busy and therefore, why my glass appeared to been bottomed b/c I did find food arriving w/o beverages at my table- including water - that was a one shot deal apparently?


Food wise- I did have delicious Peanut Butter Banana French Toast (3 pieces with a dollop of whipped PB, 1/4 of a sliced banana and dollop of whipped cream, syrup on the side) for $17. Some may say that is pricey. Most annoying was my dining partner who wanted (get this - awesome) to substitute out the French Fries that came with the Crab Cake sandwich for lettuce and the server said "um, ah, well, like Bibb lettuce?" We say yes, greens, any kind, whatever you put on the burger just veg or plain lettuce in place of the fries. Server says, "Well, I will have to charge you more for that." Really? 1 handful of greens on the side at the $18 price point and you need to up charge us?  I was shocked, needless to say we went with the Fries as to not cause the server additional brain pain!

All in all decor was swanky. TV's galore. Drinks -eh! Food was good. I think I would return once more during the week for dinner but my Brunch days there are done!

Yellow Dog Tavern- I am so sorry I strayed but we will return this weekend where you can make a proper drink including great coffee and keep my water glass full. Plus food there always rocks- even when the dish is made up by me and they allow endless alterations without acting like they have never heard of lettuce!

HOURS

Monday-Thursday 5pm-2am, Food prepared 5pm- 10pm
Friday 11am-2am, Food prepared 11am-11pm
Saturday  10am-2am, Food prepared 10am-11pm
Sunday  10am-2am, Food prepared 10am-10pm
Brunch served Saturday & Sunday 10am-2pm

No comments:

Post a Comment