Friday, January 7, 2011

Dining at The Dogwood

Enjoyed a fabulous celebratory meal at Dogwood and thought I would share some highlights of the meal including the drinks!

First thing you should know is that 5-7 is OYSTER HAPPY HOUR! And--- it is progressive. How you ask?  Well, it is a brilliant money making idea. At 5 ---the featured type is available for $.55, each half hour the price goes up until 6:30 when then reach $1.25. Even better it is not restricted to the bar!

So, my dining companion enjoyed 4 Oysters and we each had a glass of the featured paired wine. A new one for us at $7 a glass. It was one of the best surprises in wine I have found in a while - dining out.
A 2008 Antech Reserve Brut - Blanquette De Limoux.
Another special for Thursdays is the Fried chicken which of course was ordered. Every Thursday night you can enjoy their Natural Buttermilk Fried Chicken sourced from Lancaster County (PA) piled high atop cheddar mashed potatoes, al dente veggies du jour & a Southern style biscuit. Lightly smeared in chicken gravy for only $17. Which is a steal in my mind - especially when you think of the effort it takes to coat and fry your own at home.


I enjoyed a series of "small" plates which were not truly small but man oh man so delicious. I would be remiss in mentioning that I had wonderful, delicate braised Escargot tossed with cremini mushrooms, squash roasted garlic cream sauce, apple-pumpkin relish all served on top a slice of Acorn Squash,  $12.50. I do not want the description leaving you thinking thick white looking sauce in fact it tasted a good bit of garlic and sweetened vinegar not heavy rich cream. I state this because we dug in and didn't stop forgetting to take a photo of it - it was that good! The snails were small, plump and about 8 on the plate. It was going just for this dish!

The next two and final plates were the following:

Sautéed Kennett Square Mushrooms

served on on parsnip-potato rosti, shiitake, oyster, hen of the woods mushrooms, chive-parsley nage $12.50

This dish as you can see is not so "small." Very light in flavors but hearty, meaty mushrooms. I did not see any shiitake on my plate - most were hen of the woods and I did not complain. Dense, chewy, earthy partners to the rosti. I did have to ask for a pinch of salt as well as a side of fresh creme or sour cream that I noticed was being featured with their smoked salmon because the rosti needed it. This dish was good but the flavors were flat and one dimensional. They happily brought us an herbed sour cream and salt shaker. This addition for the rosti - much improved the overall balance.


Seared Cape May Sea Scallops

sage roasted spaghetti squash with local apples, smoked bacon, pumpkin seed pesto $15.50

From the photo it is difficult to tell but the mound in the center concealing a plump scallop is the bacon and spaghetti squash with diced apples. The scallops were large, moist and seared crisp on the edges. Though I enjoyed the pumpkin sauce - I am not sure what was "pesto" about it. Pesto is and always will be a blend of herb, seed or nut with oil and spices. Even if this had pumpkin seeds in it - ground and then strained- no evidence or a toasted seed. From the photo you can tell the sauce was creamy smooth. I almost think they used the Vegan Pumpkin soup of the day made with apple cider as the sauce. Majority of the flavor was from the smoky bacon. Focal point was the scallop and the flavors did mesh well but I would say the menu markets the dishes or takes some liberties that most diners may not appreciate. I didn't complain because after all it was good!



Of course there was wine with this meal. Thursday also happens to be 20% off any Rhone region bottle. Can't beat that. We tried Syrah - Cotes-Du-Rhone, Mon Coeur. Full body and aroma - Chewy but with a medium level of flavor - not over powering. Spicy with hints of cherry - well to me.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment